Skincare science came into light in the late ’90s and up until then, we have all made a few mistakes when it came to taking care of our skin. We were either disorganized or skipped out on the essentials, not knowing that it would cost our skin big.
There is a certain discipline that needs to be followed when it comes to good skincare. With this in mind, dermatologists designed the CTMP routine that translated to four key actions one has to invest in daily to achieve better skin – CLEANSE, TREAT, MOISTURIZE & PROTECT.
IMPORTANCE OF CTMP
1. Incorporates regimen products easily into your daily skincare routine
2. Keeps your skin clean, hydrated, and protected in 4 simple steps
3. An organized and clinically proven plan to help the skin stay flawless, all-day.
HOW CTMP WORKS?
Today, double cleansing is gaining popularity due to its double-action deep-cleansing quality. It is done by first cleansing your face with an oil-based cleanser to break up super stay makeup pigments followed by a water-based cleanser to remove surface debris consisting of dead skin cells, bacteria, and grime.
TIPS FOR CLEANSING
1. Be gentle. Massage only with fingertips in a clockwise motion. Do not use harsh exfoliation devices or brushes, especially on broken skin.
2. Double cleanse every night before bed.
3. Gently pat dry after wash.
Cleansing is the first step in any skincare routine as it helps to clear the skin for the next stage i.e, applying treatment cream/serum. Slightly damp skin absorbs treatment products quickly and effectively. A good cleanser is one that is mild, fragrance-free, and pH balanced.
If you’re facing any skin problems like acne, melasma, or age spots, it is advised to consult with a dermatologist before using a treatment product as some cannot be used with another.
HOW TO APPLY
1. After cleansing, wait for 5-10 minutes until the skin is dry.
2. Clean your hands and take a pea-sized amount (or as prescribed) onto the palm of your hands and gently massage it evenly into the skin using clean fingertips.
3. Wait for 30 minutes before the next stage, i.e, moisturizing.
Treatment products should only be applied right after cleansing and before moisturizing. Also, it is better to start with a small dose alternatively for the first two weeks and work your way up once your skin gets used to the treatment.
Hydration is essential for all skin types, including oily skin. This skin type can use squalene + zinc as active ingredients in their moisturizer, which makes it oil-free, fights dryness, and controls sebum production.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Moisturization should always follow after applying a treatment product like Kojic or Niacinamide.
2. Take a sizeable amount onto clean fingertips and gently massage it evenly into the skin in a clockwise motion.
3. Wait for 15 minutes until the next step, i.e., applying sunscreen.
Moisturization comes after the use of treatment products because it will lock in the treatment and protect the outer surface with a moisture barrier, blocking out anti-agents. It is vital to moisturize as required. Dry skin types can moisturize twice or thrice a day as long as the surface is hydrated.
Sunscreen is the last but crucial step in the whole skincare routine. Other than the sun, blue light from mobile phones also causes the skin to turn a shade darker overtime. It is something that goes unnoticed until it becomes visibly evident. Therefore, using sunblock is vital to protect skin cells from photodamage, even if you’re not the outdoorsy type.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Apply sunscreen 30 minutes before going outside and if you stay at home apply it 15 minutes after moisturizing.
2. Take a sizeable amount on your fingertips and massage evenly into your skin in a clockwise motion.
3. After 2 hours, clean your face gently with a pH balanced face wipe and reapply the sunscreen after 2-3 minutes. At this stage, to save time, it’ll be good to use a sunscreen with moisturizing ingredients.
4. When going out shield exposed parts of your body with appropriate clothing, sunhat or umbrella.
5. Use 30-55 SPF with a matte finish as Indian weather is mostly humid.
Protecting your skin from the harmful UVA/UVB radiation can save you from permanent repercussions of acne blemishes, hyperpigmentation/melasma, and premature ageing. Never, ever skip on sunscreen. If in case you are in a hurry, use a moisturizer with SPF properties to save time.
Remember, keeping it simple and consistent is key. If you do not notice results immediately, it is because skin cells take 2 – 3 weeks to adjust to a particular product. So, stick to a regimen for at least a month before switching to another.